The average person takes 2-3 off-cycles per year during their training. These are usually during times of increased pressure or responsibilities at home like moving or the birth of a child. Most people also seem to reduce their training time when their work schedule gets loaded with extra tasks or when there is increased pressure at work. The average person is also likely to get sick during the year and this also accounts for lost training time. Last, but not least is that phase of the year when you feel burnt-out and you simply do not have the motivation to train before or after work.
So how do you get yourself going again after an off period?
- Find your reason: Are you one of those people who have packed on a few extra lbs or have you lost muscle mass and want it back? Do you want to prepare for the summer to look good without a shirt or in that bikini! This will help to motivate you.
- Goal: You need to clearly outline what you want to achieve and break these goals down into weekly check boxes.
- Plan: Get everything you need to start your training plan; training gear and decide on a time of day that you want to train.
- Support: The most important thing is to get supplements that provide you with energy for the initial stages. You will be demanding a lot from your body again, so make sure you give it the proper fuel for energy and to reduce stiffness and soreness. For pre-training, you can try our max energy 3XT Pre-Workout or AminoStim, our energy-packed amino acids powder.
- Challenge yourself: Start off your return to activity by changing up your exercise style. Try participating in an online group class, mix it up with different types of exercises. You might just find something new that you like.
- Diet is key: This is where a common misconception comes in around the word “diet”. Diet does not mean that you have to starve yourself to look good. It’s about eating the right foods and making sure that you do not consume more energy per day than your body uses.
- Train with a friend: Training is more fun in a social environment and it is easier for 2 people to stay motivated and committed together. This helps you push harder and keep better track of your results.
There are a lot of opinions on how the return to activity should be done and none of them are wrong. It is important for you to find a way to make it fun and sustainable for yourself. Getting back into it can be tough and takes a lot of dedication, but with the help of muscle memory and a few adjustments you can be back to your old self in no time.